• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

June 16, 2019, 10:54:58 pm

News:

Welcome to the SQLitening support forums!

Tell me I'm crazy

Started by ken_anthony, July 17, 2016, 02:54:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ken_anthony

I'd like to share some of what I'm up to. I spent most of last year in the hospital and live on disability now. It doesn't suit me. So I plan to give away some game SW in an attempt to provide myself a better income. Business SW would make more sense (fleet maintenance, circulation fulfillment and POS are some of my real world experience) but this thing has been nagging me since 1975 and I want to get it out of my system. Can you imagine the looks I got, before the internet existed, when I talked about massive multi-user, real time games back then? Bill Gates was still counting cars as they drove over a rubber hose at the time. My plan is for up to 10,000 players per host/game (you read that right.) My strategy is most of the host is static one time read only data (but not all) which will be copied locally after the first read, with UDP messages bypassing the host going directly between players (a concept I tried to explain to adults while I was in high school.) Sounds looney. I know.

Working in PowerBASIC is about 15 to 20 times slower for me than VB6 but the end result should be a good executable. Since I have no artistic ability I'm going to let my players do that (version 1 will be 2D. If successful, version 2 will be 3D.)

I have concerns about how I will accomplish some things but plan to get there with focus and determination. I really hate that Microsoft abandoned VB7 but perhaps it will end better in the long run? My eyesight is going (a doctor sticks needles in my eyeballs twice a month and nine of my fingers have given up typing...) but I'm still breathing damn it!

Next year I hope many of you will help me with stress testing the game? I plan on being obnoxiously focused on this for the next year.